Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Prayer Request

Dear readers, may I ask your prayers? My grandmother fell yesterday and hit her head and was on the kitchen floor for twelve hours before my aunt found her. She is in the ICU now, conscious and able to answer questions, but early tests have revealed some brain swelling. She and my dad were supposed to be leaving tomorrow for a week at Cape Cod, but instead he's going to be spending that vacation time at the hospital with her.

It seems so surprising -- I just saw Grandma two weeks ago at my niece's baptism, and she was so bright and conversational and alert, as spry and sharp as ever. We spoke of the books we'd been reading, and of raising children, and we sang some of the traditional Irish songs together. I haven't ever lived near Grandma, and I haven't seen her frequently these many years, so it was pleasant to sit and talk with her not just as her grandchild, but as an adult relating to another adult. I had hoped that we might have many more such opportunities. 

8 comments:

Skywalker said...

I'm praying for her, and I hope she feels better soon.

entropy said...

Praying here.

Rebekka said...

Praying of course.

But you may still have those opportunities, so don't give up on her yet! - a bonk on the head, while *potentially* serious, is not *necessarily* the end of the world, even for old ladies. As you get older your brain shrinks, so there's plenty of room for the odd episode of minor edema or even a subdural hematoma. It's much more serious for younger people and little kids. If she's conscious and answering questions it's a good sign.

Lois in Indy said...

Will pray for her and your family at Mass tonight and into the future. God bless and heal her. Lois

Jenny said...

Praying for your family.

Amber said...

I will keep her in prayer. Let us know how she fairs - it is things like this that show how vulnerable living alone can be...

Jennifer Fitz said...

Praying, Mrs. D.!

Julia said...

You got it.