Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Fifteen Years Ago

September 5th, 1997 was a Friday night during my Freshman year of college, and being a Freshman who hadn't yet been at college for a month, I went off to an outdoor mixer/dance. I mostly went in order to see more of a girl I was somewhat interested in, but as it happened she was more interested in mixing than in me, so she introduced me to a girl wearing a bowler hat.

The girl in the bowler hat and I ended up not just dancing for a while, but sitting around the student center talking until they kicked us out at 2AM. Ten days later we started dating, and now, fifteen years later, we have five children together.

Somehow, there aren't huge numbers of pictures of us from our college years, and many of those that do exist are egregious, but MrsD has approved this picture (yes, it's in the cafeteria) from our Junior year as being about as good as we ever managed to look in college.


11 comments:

Dorian Speed said...

AND YOU DON'T LOOK A DAY OLDER!

Love this picture! You two are my favorite semi-anonymously blogging married Catholics.

Brandon said...

That is a great picture.

Mary said...

And a lovely family you have created!

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Awwww, you look so cute together.

MrsDarwin said...

Interesting story about me and the glasses: I wore them all through college and for a few years afterwards, and when we were moving from California to Austin, I went in to get my prescription updated, since I was having headaches. The eye doctor gives me the exam and says, "You don't need glasses." Like the fellow in Monty Python, I got better.

This is probably the only photo of my in my college years that I would ever want to show anyone.

Jenny said...

That's a sweet picture, and I also think it is sweet how yall remember the exact dates of everything. It's all a blur for me.

About the glasses, were you far-sighted or near-sighted? I've heard that far-sightedness sometimes corrects itself.

I only have a couple of college pictures and I don't think any of them are blog worthy.

BettyDuffy said...

So collegiate! So in love! THis is great.

John Farrell said...

I met my wife just one month later than you two met, Brandon. Great post and a great picture.

MrsDarwin said...

Jenny, I always confuse the terms, but I wore glasses for distance problems and driving. It was a very minor issue, really needing almost no correction. I think I just liked having glasses. But I am glad now not to have to bother keeping track of them; when Eleanor was a baby they would get lost down in the recliner, and I sat on them several times.

cminor said...

Awwwww!

Jenny said...

Farsighted means you can see far away but not close. Nearsighted means you can see close up but not far away.

I'm so nearsighted the bedside clock is blurry. :(

Grace is farsighted and the doctor has hopes for her to grow out of it.

Babies do love to grab those glasses!