Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'll Just Read...

Most of our bookshelves are in the living room, and since our living room floor is getting ready to be replaced, the books are all going into boxes so that we can move furniture around as needed. At this point the Literature, History, Classics and half the Religion sections are all packed.

I generally feel like I don't get around to reading much these days. But it's amazing how often, just in the last few days, I've found myself going over to look something up or to read a short selection out of a book, only to realize that it's been packed.

I guess I must get around to reading more than I thought. Having your library packed is a bit like having a loved one missing. One repeatedly thinks, "I'll just ask him this," or "I'll just tell her that," only to find that other, who has become a part of you, missing -- leaving an odd emptiness behind.

1 comment:

John Farrell said...

Man, you're not kidding. We've already packed half the house into storage in anticipation of moving in a couple of weeks. A whole month without my books....

:(